Welcome back to The Not So Wimpy Teacher Podcast! Whether you’ll be teaching in-person, online or a combination of the two this year, we want our classrooms to be just as safe as they are engaging. In this week’s episode, I am going to dive into five things that teachers will need to reconsider to make sure the upcoming school year is as safe as possible for everyone. COVID-19 is making things hard but not impossible!
This is not a podcast I had imagined making but it’s our responsibility as teachers to ensure the safety of our students. I am not a doctor. These are my personal tips, but please do make sure you’re following the rules at each of your teaching locations.
Takeaways from this episode:
- Host a virtual open house! Share a little about yourself and allow your students to do the same.
- Offer personal supplies instead of having students share.
- Apply for Not So Wimpy’s “Adopt-A-Classroom” program and set up “DonorsChoose” projects!
- Use virtual manipulatives.
- Think about sanitization when creating options for flexible seating.
- Create personal student book boxes and a return book box for a safe classroom library.
Interested in Not So Wimpy’s Adopt-A-Classroom program? If your classroom is chosen, Not So Wimpy will send you a box of classroom supplies each month and also give you the opportunity to create a supply wishlist for your classroom. Don’t wait, apply here.
Listen to our “How to Make Centers Safer” episode here for more safety tips. There’s no denying that this school year will be a bit unconventional, but the students are so lucky to have you making their year great. Have a not so wimpy day!
Want more Not So Wimpy Teacher tips and tricks? Find tons of resources on our website at www.notsowimpyteacher.com and follow me on Instagram @notsowimpyteacher where I share daily!